Depression in men: symptoms, causes and methods of treatment
Depression is one of the psychological disorders that negatively affects the life and behavior of the individual as a result of the constant feeling of sadness and despair. Depression may affect both men and women, but differently Depression in men In certain characteristics compared to women, a man may not realize that he is depressed as a result of his refusal to get help, because he believes that this impairs his masculinity.
This article deals with the causes of depression in men, its symptoms and possible damages as well as treatment methods.
Symptoms of depression in men
may change symptoms depression in men As for women, men tend to Quick anger and irritabilityFeeling very tired, neglecting family care and work, lack of sexual desire, as well as loss of interest in favorite hobbies. 
include Signs of depression in men Also the following: 
- Feeling sad and empty.
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sleep disorder, appearing in the form of too little or too much sleep.
- Changing eating habits, such as overeating or anorexia and eat less.
- Complaining of body aches and digestive problems.
- Alcoholism or drug abuse.
- Suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide.
causes depression in men
The exact cause of depression is unknown, but it is likely that there are several factors that play a role in depression in men, such as: 
- Environmental pressures: Exposure to traumatic life events can lead Sudden depression in menLoss of a family member, job loss, or financial burdens, loneliness in the elderly can also cause male depression.
- Genetic factors: A family history of depression increases the risk of depression in men.
- Health conditions: Certain diseases, such as chronic diseases or cancer, can cause depression.
- Medicines: Side effects of certain medications, such as anticholinergics, benzodiazepines, and corticosteroids, can lead to depression.
Also read: Causes of depression in different age groups
Types of depression in men
There are many types of depression that affect men, including: 
- Seasonal depression: This depression occurs in the cold months of the year as a result of weak sunlight, and usually disappears when the sunlight returns.
- Persistent depressive disorder: may happen Chronic depression in men This type of depression usually lasts two years or more, but its symptoms are less severe than other types.
- psychotic depression Characterized Psychotic depression in men Symptoms of severe depression accompanied by psychotic symptoms of delusions and hallucinations.
The effects of depression in men
Depression in men can cause complications, including:  
- health problems, such as heart disease and stroke. Depressed men are more likely to develop heart disease than depressed women.
- Fibromyalgia, which is a feeling of pain and aches in different parts of the body.
- Self-harm or suicide Men are more likely to die by suicide than women; Because they use lethal means.
The danger of vitamin D deficiency on the soul and nerves in Jordan
Vitamin D is one of the fat-soluble vitamins stored in the body inside fat cells and is also called … read more
The effect of depression in men on libido
Related to Depression and sex in men When depression can cause many sexual problems, including: 
- Decreased libido.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Difficulty reaching orgasm.
Not only does depression cause depression, but antidepressants can also affect sexual performance as a side effect.
It should be noted that poor sexual performance can lead to depression, as men with sexual problems are twice as likely to suffer from depression as compared to normal men. 
Diagnosis of depression in men
A doctor begins to diagnose depression in men by taking and evaluating the patient’s medical history and symptoms, as well as performing a physical exam to rule out other health problems. 
It is worth noting that the diagnosis rates of depression in men are lower than women, and this is due to many factors, many men believe that depression is a female disease, or some of them are ashamed to express feelings of sadness and depression, believing that it reduces their masculinity. 
Also read: Postpartum depression in men, and how to treat it
Treatment of depression in men
The treatment of depression includes psychotherapy and medication, as well as making lifestyle adjustments Get rid of depression in men. 
The treatment includes: 
- psychotherapy: Talk therapy helps you learn about the problems that led to depression and how to deal with them, as well as learning ways to develop the ability to deal with outbursts of anger, anxiety and stress.
- Drug treatment: May Used Medicines for depression in mensuch as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and atypical antidepressants, and tricyclic antidepressants.
- Lifestyle change: Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly and creating a specific sleep routine contribute to relief Depression in men and its treatment.
- Hospitalization may summon Treatment of severe depression in men Especially those who suffer from suicidal thoughts or have a history of suicide attempts, stay in the hospital for appropriate treatment until the episode of depression improves.
Also read: Depression after marriage